Thursday 2 February 2006

#34 Entertainment-drama phenomenon

Considering I've not actually had anything to do this week, it's been quite a busy one...

Way back last Friday, we journeyed across to Centertainment (see what they've done there?) and the Cineworld in particular to see Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's latest film, "A Cock & Bull Story". Unfortunately for a comedy, the funny parts were both unintentional, and few and far between:

▪ The trailers before the film started
▪ The mere appearance of David Walliams on screen
▪ The womb scene (you have to see it, really)
▪ The numpty who dived into the revolving doors of the cinema, only to go head first into the pane in front of him and get stuck in a Superman-esque position with everyone looking at him


Alas, a far superior British comedy was being shown on Saturday night at the Union's cinema... "Wallace & Grommit and The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit". Now that really was good: it ripped off so many other films, and used some rabbit-related jokes that even I'd steer clear of, but was genuinely fantastic. It's nice to be able to spot all the jokes that aren't aimed at the children, too...

Still reeling from our disappointment with Cax, and in search of a cheap boozer, Pubs Visited This Week include The Fox & Duck - home to witnessing one of the greatest advertisements for Premiership football (that'll be West Ham's game against Fulham) - and the newly-discovered South Seas. The latter being useful for the afore-mentioned Tom to demonstrate his erm... unique pool-playing ability.

This week also saw the very-unwelcome return of the feature
Number of people I've mortally offended this week... The answer is 1.


On a not-that-unrelated topic, my membership of Facebook has yielded some interesting results. For now, I have had friend invitations from not only people I'm not that likely to speak to ever again (because they're at different unis), but also people from my own university who I've never met before in my life. I remain unconvinced by the thing, but have at least joined a group campaigning for "food" to be served in our canteen.


Random other stuff...


▪ Got far too drunk as a result of no early-morning starts this week; ▪ Sticking up possibly the greatest set of postcards I've ever seen onto my wall; ▪ Watched not only Countdown, but Deal Or No Deal and Richard & Judy in a single-sitting; ▪ Getting embroiled in a debate over the Prophet Mohammed cartoon row; ▪ Buying a funky new speaker for my laptop