Friday 26 August 2005

#11 Paint

If I see another tin of paint, I will go insane. I've spent the whole of the last week re-decorating the house. In one case, re-decorating and then re-re-decorating. Or un-decorating. Basically, painting the bathroom one colour, and then painting it back to how it was before because I'd used "the wrong sort" of green. Grrr.

As you may have guessed, then, there isn't really a great deal for me to write about this week. Even now, my clothes smell of paint, my hands smell of paint brush cleaner, and the whole house just smells. It's a nice mixture of white "Kitchen & Bathroom" and toxic green tile paint. Blind people would have it easy in my gaff now: they could navigate by how strong the whiff of emulsion is.

I have managed to blag a lot more albums to copy off people, though. Inspired by last week's anniversary of the Britpop single war between Blur and Oasis - and the whole night of programmes I taped about it off BBC Four - I really wanted to get hold of some proper Britpop albums. After all, it was the music I grew up with, it's just I never had the money to buy it with... how times have erm, changed.

I managed to get Blur's legendary Parklife - a sadly disappointing collection of tracks, bar 'Parklife' and 'Girls and Boys', Graham Coxon's nothing-like-Britpop-but-can-you-see-the-clever-link-there-and-also-excellent Happiness in Magazines, and Oasisessesiseez' Don't Believe The Truth. Which is also not proper Britpop. But it is great.

I haven't listened to them all yet (there were more, I'm not lazy), but one track fascinates me. It's Graham Coxon's 'Bittersweet Bundle of Misery'. Not exactly a happy-clappy title, I agree. But within the opening few bars, this song reminds me of no less than three other songs in my collection:

Caution: Music aficionados only beyond this point!

1> 'Meantime' by The Futureheads (opening bars)
2> 'Fit But You Know It' by The Streets (guitar rift)
3> 'First Of The Gang To Die' by Morrissey (opening bars) - the only Morrissey song that Croasdell likes

Why not try this game yourself at home? You're not painting, are you?