Thursday 8 December 2005

#26 Halfway

Hello again. Yes, this is the 26th week of my blog, so I'm currently celebrating the six-month anniversary with a packet of Digestives, a slight headache, and an aching ear. Explanation to follow.

Well, today is my second-to-last Thursday here. I'm back off home a week tomorrow morning (and out on the town a week tomorrow evening, with any luck). As a result, everyone is getting mighty fed up of having to go to lectures all the time (but it's Christmas!) and the calendar is packed with social events rather than essay deadlines for a change.

In celebration of this fact, I actually got my hair cut. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me [cymbal crash]!

Our Arts Tower building is one of a few left in Britain - nay, the world - that still has a working paternoster. It looks quite scary at first, but once you're actually on the thing it takes ages to get to your floor (especially if you have to get to anywhere above the 4th). Therefore, feeling rather brave (and in an attempt to recreate those scenes in films where the hero just makes it onto the plane/train/lift/helicopter before it takes off/pulls away/moves/flies off) I decided to jump in one of the cars at the last possible moment.

Paternosters are notorious for breaking. If you shift your body weight whilst you're in the top of the building, you can break the whole thing. Sadly, this thought only occurred to me as I was halfway between the floor of the, erm... floor and the floor of the lift. I suddenly realised in mid-air that if I broke the thing, everyone would know it was me, because my face would still be level with everyone's kneecaps.

Luckily, the thing just shook violently. But in my fear, I forgot to bend my knees, and as a result had to walk around with a jarred knee for the next few hours.

Last night was spent getting to the indie disco (via a few pubs) and then dancing the night/early morning away. This explains the slight headache and ringing in the ears. The aching ear was caused by a misunderstanding between myself and Amy. Amy, thinking that it was I who text a message about her onto the Leadmill's giant screen, decided to flick my (stone-cold) ear as revenge. For some bizarre reason, it still stings.

Highlights of the night included: watching Alex Ferguson squirm as Manchester United lost 2-1; watching Alex Ferguson stand defiant after the game; getting the words "The" "Only" "Way" and "Is Up" in the wrong order; telling everyone in the Leadmill where Bernard lives; a text battle between - I kid you not - the Town & County Planning Department at Sheffield University, and the Town & County Planning Department at Sheffield Hallam University; Bing Crosby.

This is a fantastic advert, sadly banned by the lawyers.
This is also excellent: Combat Wombat