Thursday 5 January 2006

#30 Happy new year

First of all, Happy New Year everyone. I hope you all had a fantastic New Year's Eve party and that you've all recovered by now! The secret must be a hearty lie-in on the morning of January the 1st...

Along with Emma and Elyse, I spent New Year's Eve down in Eynsford at Andrew's house, where we all sat outside around the fire with marshmallows and music to see out 2005. Of course, we couldn't just stop at toasting the marshmallows, and soon the evening turned into an Open-Univeristy-esque "let's see which flavour of Pringle burns the best" experiment. It's BBQ Beef.

Luckily, we were smoked out (following an over-enthusiastic attempt to get the fire stoked up a notch or two) just in time to get inside and countdown the last few minutes of the year with smiley-smiley-Natasha Kaplinkski and a slightly freaky Andrew Marr. Then, it was straight down to business and the first game of Pictionary of the year: I will admit, I may get slightly competitive whilst playing this game, but took losing (by the narrowest of margins, you understand) very well...

But how are you supposed to draw "Lake Front"?!?!


With all the important stuff out the way then, it was time for bed. For most people, anyway. I never actually slept, due to the excitement of the fireworks. Which isn't to say that I didn't find being not only woken up, but also driven home before the clock struck half-past-nine any less annoying. Or confusing.

Needless to say I went straight to bed upon reaching my house, my faith in human nature restored by the fact the rest of the family were still asleep. Unfortunately, I had to be up for the afternoon visit of the relatives, but they were fortunately very understanding of my condition.


I tend to avoid mentioning other people's names on here, usually because I don't know if they want their stories plastered all over the interweb. Also, I can't really write everything I think because everyone from my parents to the people I've met at uni read this. Plus, I do have a right to some privacy, you know.

And so therefore, shamelessly skipping more than a few days, here we are today with all the Christmas decorations now back in the loft for another year. Luckily I've got until Sunday week before I have to trek North again, but there is the small matter of 7,000 essay words to be written in the meantime.

That (and Pictionary) aside, I'd say this last week has been the best start to a year I've ever had. And I haven't even finalised my resolutions yet...